Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Technique Tuesday: Faux Washi Tape

Today I am late getting my post done.  I am in charge of the yearbook for my son's elementary school and have a deadline at the end of the week that is eating up all my time.  So, I did not get a chance to try making Faux Washi Tape until this evening.

There are several different tutorials out there for making your own Washi Tape.  Some people stamp on first aid tape or use tissue paper to make theirs.  I decided to keep it simple and just use what I already had - cardstock.  You start by sponging a background color.

Then stamp an image on top.  I chose a large leaf and left a lot of open space.  Make sure you cover the whole page with the image.  You can stamp as many as you want and create as much "pattern" as you want. (Kind of like making your own DSP, which if you have been following me you know I love to do.)

After the pattern is complete, just cut your paper into strips.  You decide how wide you want them.  I use between 1/4" and 1/2" to mimic real Washi Tape.  Now that you have your "tape," it is time to play.

This design was inspired by Retro Sketches #48.  When I saw this sketch I knew it was perfect for this technique.  The strips behind the main image look just like tape.

For the accent it was hard to decide what to use.  Since the "tape" had a leaf pattern I wanted to stay with something organic.  This Boho Blossom with a pearl center turned out to be perfect.

The tape and the sketch combined make a beautiful card.  I love the organic colors and images.  What can you use your Faux Washi Tape to create?


Papers: Pink Pirouette (#111351), Whisper White (#100730), Certainly Celery (#105125)
Inks: Certainly Celery (#126958), Soft Suede (#126978)
Stamps: Feel Goods (#129684), French Foliage (#121166)
Other Supplies: Boho Blossom Punch (#119858), Corner Punch (#119871), Basic Pearls (#119247), Stampin' Trimmer (#126889)
Feel Goods (#129684)
French Foliage (#121166)

Paper Pumpkin


Paper Pumpkin is your very own paper fairy godmother (without the white hair).   I'm the total package:
  • I've got all the stamps, ink, paper, and accessories to create pinable projects. Projects like cards, journals, décor, and more!
  • I'm all cut, measured, and ready—with instructions included.
  • I'm a new and exciting surprise every month.


No comments: