Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Focus: Getting Inspiration

Yesterday I sat down in my craft room hoping for inspiration.  I tried starting with a sketch challenge.  I tried starting with a stamp set.  Nothing seemed to jump out at me.  So, I walked away and spent the day with my husband who took the day off to be with me for my birthday.

Later that evening, I got busy making snacks for my son's class for their Ocean Fun Day today.  I was supposed to suspend fish gummy snacks in blue Jello.  I started by sorting all the gummies.

The only snacks I could find were these sharks, which I think all the kids will love.  Next I had to make the blue Jello and let it set up a little bit.  It took about an hour before the Jello was set enough to suspend the gummy snacks.

You can see in the picture above how the snacks are suspended in the Jello.  Once I got them together I thought they looked a little plain and needed a tag of some sort.  Last year I made a Father's Day card for my father-in-law that had fish on it, so I thought I would make some more now.

To make the fish I use my 1" Circle Punch.  After punching a circle I used the punch again on each side to make the fish bodies.

I used the Boho Blossom Punch to punch out half of the top flower.  I then cut off the outside petals to make the fish tails.

I was going to use a plain oval to help the fish stand out, but once I cut them I thought they would be even cuter with some waves (for the ocean).  So, I ran the ovals through the Big Shot with the Chevron Folder to make them more like the ocean.  Once the fish were put together I used MDS to print out "Ocean Fun," punched them out, and then added them to my tags.  (My husband even helped by putting the eyes on the fish.)


The final product is simple but cute, and I think all the kids are going to love them.  After starting out my morning with no inspiration, it turns out all I needed to do was make some Jello!  You never know what will inspire your next creation.


Paper: Bashful Blue (retired), Tangerine Tango (#111349), Whisper White (#100730)
Inks: Marina Mist (MDS), Basic Black (#100082)
Other Supplies: Word Window Punch (#119857), 1" Circle Punch (#119868), Boho Blossom Punch (#119858), Big Shot (#113439), Oval Framelits (#129381), Chevron Folder (#127749)

THE NEW CATALOG IS HERE!  
See the updated link to the new catalog on the right.  Want to see the real thing?  Let me know and I will send you a catalog of your very own.  Please feel free to contact me to order all the wonderful new products and tools!

No comments: