Wednesday, March 13, 2013

FMS77: Cactus for Jean

The card for today was inspired by two different challenges.  The first was a sketch challenge from Freshly Made Sketches (#77). 

The sketch is simple and could be done very cleanly or you could add lots of patterns and embellishments. The theme for my card was inspired by Teapot Tuesday on SplitcoastStampers.   You can visit the challenge post to read the story, but the main challenge was to use cactus or flowers.

If you have been following along you know how much I love to make my own DSP.  I used the Secret Garden stamp set, which is quickly becoming one of my favorites, to make the background paper.  Since I did not have anything in a cactus shape, I used ovals and and and embossing folder.

I saw this technique on another card by philsmom on SplitcoastStampers.  You can view her card here.  After punching out the ovals, I ran them through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots Folder.  Then I sponged some ink over them to bring out the texture.

Since the idea of the story on Teapot Tuesday was about a cacti that blooms and becomes beautiful, I just had to add a few small flowers to the tops of the cactus.  The background pattern was also chosen for this reason.
And, since I will be sending this card to Jean, I used the background pattern to create a matching envelope.  I hope that this card brightens Jean's day and makes her smile.


Papers: Crumb Cake (#120953), Very Vanilla (#101650), Certainly Celery (#105125), Primrose Petals (#126841)
Inks: Primrose Petals (#126858), Certainly Celery (#126958), Pink Pirouette (#126956)
Stamps: Secret Garden (#129144), Itty Bitty Banners (#126257)
Other Supplies: Very Vanilla Seam Binding (#120999), Basic Pearls (#119247), Extra Large Oval Punch (#119859), Large Oval Punch (#119855), Boho Blossom Punch (#119858), Big Shot (#119439), Perfect Polka Dot Folder (#117335), Oval Framelits (#129381), Very Vanilla Medium Envelopes (#107300)

Secret Garden Bundle (#131099)
Boho Blossom Punch (#119858)
Paper Pumpkin - SU! New Monthly Craft Kit
Paper Pumpkin is your very own paper fairy godmother (without the white hair).   It's the total package:
  • Each kit includes all the stamps, ink, paper, and accessories (everything except adhesive) to create projects like cards, journals, décor, and more!
  • The kit comes with all you need for your project cut, measured, and ready—with instructions included. 
  • The kit will ship on or around the 15th of the month.   You need to sign up for a kit by the 10th of the month to get that month's kit.  If you sign up on the 11th of the month, your first kit will come the next month. 
  • And a free gift in your very first kit!  The Welcome Kit is the very first Paper Pumpkin you will receive in your first month of membership, and it includes a free gift - a clear acrylic block!
  • Please list me as your demonstrator, so I know you are getting your goodies.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love your cacti and how you made your own DSP by stamping - I thought it was real DSP when I first looked at it! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!! I love the cati and may just have to case this card :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever and pretty! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete