Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Technique Tuesday: One Sheet Bag Tutorial

 
My son's class had a party on the last day of school.  As a "Congratulations" to all the students for getting through the year, I decided to make little gift bags for each of them.

To make the bag, simply start with one 8-1/2" x 11" piece of cardstock.  Score the paper 2-1/2" from each long side and 4-1/2" from each short side.

You will then fold all the score lines to make the next part a little easier.  Fold in the long side and then bring the first horizontal score line to the outside edge to create the diagonal.  Press the diagonal fold with a bone folder to make it sharp.

Optional: You do not have to, but I chose to cut out the corners to reduce the thickness of the tops of the bag.  Depending on what you are using the bag for, you may want to skip this step.

Fold and adhere all the diagonals to the inside.  You will end up with a bag and two tall sides.  If you do not cut the corners out, you will have three layers of cardstock on the tall sides.  The original directions for this on SplitcoastStampers just tied a ribbon around the top to close the bag.  Again, it depends on what you are putting in the bag.  All that is left to do is decorate.

Since I knew I was putting a couple of tall items in my bags, I folded down one of the tall sides and punched two holes (one small for a glow stick, one 1/2" for a pencil).

For the decoration, I wanted to make a tiger paw (since this is the mascot for our school district).  I was making 21 of these bags, so I had to punch a few items first.  I used the Hearts Framelits for the base of the paw, the wing of the bird punch for the "claws" and an embossed vanilla background.  The tiny hearts were punched with the Owl Builder Punch.

Here is the final paw.  I had seen dog prints done with hearts and ovals, but I think the wing is great for tiger or bear claws.  I originally put it on a solid piece of cardstock, but thought the chevron folder looked a little like claw marks too.

I stamped the sentiment and mounted everything on More Mustard.  The school colors are maroon and gold, so the Red Riding Hood and More Mustard are pretty close.

Here is the finished box.  I think the heart is the perfect touch to let the kids know how special they are.  The boxes were filled with pencils, glow sticks, bouncy balls, playdough, and a few pieces of candy.

All of the kids really enjoyed the boxes (particularly the glow sticks).  I am so glad that my son's first year of "real school" was so positive and fun.  We are both excited to see what happens next Fall.


Papers: Riding Hood Red (retired), More Mustard (retired), Very Vanilla (#101650)
Inks: Riding Hood Red (retired)
Stamps: Sweet Essentials (#126457)
Other Supplies: Bird Punch (#117191), Owl Punch (#118074), Big Shot (#113439), Hearts Framelits (#125599), Chevron Folder (#127749), Stampin' Trimmer (#126889)

STAMPIN' UP! COLOR REFRESH!   
The upcoming 2013-2014 annual catalog will include 10 new colors (most of which are returning In Colors from previous years)! They are welcoming back some of your favorites, moving some colors around, and introducing one brand-new color, so take a look!  Stock up now on your favorites before they are gone.

Demo_Current-Update_Color-Refresh_NA

No comments: